Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What kind of Mom am I?

The kind of mom who makes her kids play with play-do in the garage because she doesn't want to deal with the mess... Lame, I know.

The kind of mom who has a daughter (below) that, when explaining the issue of debt from the movie
Confessions of a Shopaholic says "You know, like at the library how we always owe so much money? That's debt."
I can't decide if the city library loves us or hates us due to all the late fees we rack up.

The kind of mom who doesn't like to exercise, except for family bike rides...
The kind of mom who teaches her children to share...
For better or for worse.

I'm the kind of mom who raises children that punk their little brother by placing naked barbies all over his room...
I was not proud, but I was amused. Jack? Notsomuch.

I'm the kind of mom who takes pictures of her baby...
again...
and again...
and again...
It never gets old. The older ones aren't as cooperative, but I still have my fun with them...
They desperately wish I would find a different hobby. Not a chance.

I'm the kind of mom who stays up too late and, therefore, sleeps in too late. The kind of mom who over-reacts and under-plans. The kind of mom who has to ask her kids forgiveness a lot. And I mean a lot. I will never claim to be a great mom, maybe not even a good one. But I am the kind of mom who is usually aware of the fact that I am not worthy of mothering these four which means, most days, I'm just plain thankful (and just a little bit worn out.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED your recent post about the kind of mom you are, reminds me SO much of myself! I found your blog from a link from Kristy Johnson's blog! I would love to chat sometime as we are currently exploring adoption with AGCI in Ethiopia. We head out from eastern NC to TN next week for the AGCI conference and to meet the Johnson's! Hope to hear from you, jbjjbobbitt@earthlink.net Bobi Bobbitt

Deena said...

So funny! I love the naked Barbies! My boys are always "punking" each other...this is a good one for them.
I have to laugh at all of your pictures of your Ethiopian princess, because since we returned from Ethiopia a couple of weeks ago, my photos of our new princess are about 100 of her to 1 of the other kiddos. :)

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

AMEN to this post....how I feel all the time. And hey, when you have gorgeous kids....you have to take a lot of pics:) As long as you share them

Amy said...

How funny! Hope Jack recovers from all those naked girls in his room! LOL

milreb said...

The barbies totally had me laughing, then I got to the picture of the fan! I am busting up. Oh my gosh, such crafty psychological punishment. :) I am totally remembering that for a future rainy day! Great post.

Mandy said...

the Barbie's are hilarious! You are my kind of mom. We would get along just great!

Unknown said...

This is such a great post. You are the BEST mom for your kids. God chose you for them (and them for you!) THere is no perfect. All moms are human, all humans have issues. I chuckled at the naked barbies!! :)

Kendra said...

Love it!! You're always so real--and thank goodness my kids have no idea what "PUNKING" is. :0)

Hilary Marquis said...

You CANNOT give up your hobby, I would go into withdrawls! So good to see you guys are doing well. The girls are beautiful and the boys are growing more and more handsome. I loved the barbie doll prank ;)

Mindee said...

You are the best kind of mom - a real one.

I love the dolls on the ceiling fan. It's your ability to go above and beyond that makes you fabulous.

phillips phamily said...

Love this sweet post! Can't wait to see pictures of the kitchen. I bet you could hire someone, for $$$$$$$$!

Kayla Joy said...

I have to tell you that I was just talking with one of my friends who is a teacher at Schoo and she just LOVES you. She was raving about how great of parents you are, how everyone loves Tate, and how all of the teachers think you should give a parenting class. I told her I thought it was because you're always honest- with yourself, with your kids, and with others. And that you love-well. I think you're an amazing mom. I want to be just like you when I grow up (I've already got the library fines thing covered...)

Three2Five said...

This post was awesome!!! Funny yet super genuine and transparent. The world NEEDS more moms like you!!!!