As we toured the place, I noticed the drying laundry hanging literally everywhere...
We walked through several different rooms and then the director said "Now I will take you into our Special Needs Room". I was unprepared for what I would see and feel when I walked into that room. Four children lay motionless in beds staring off into the distance. All in the room were paralyzed. Some were blind. Some had mental disabilities. None will probably be adopted. They may never even leave the orphanage at all. Two workers stood in the room ready to care for their every need. The director pointed our attention to a sign hanging above them on the wall in Amharic...
It's time for a flashback. Back in January, we were in church singing "Mighty to Save". The last part of the first verse is "Everyone needs forgiveness, the kindness of a Savior, Hope of Nations. As I sang the word "nations", immediately my thoughts went to Ethiopia and orphans. Then came the chorus: “Savior, He can move the mountains My God is mighty to save, mighty to save…” I have considered this song before as it might relate to adoption that God is mighty to save the orphan.
But what God impressed on me so clearly in that moment is the one He is mighty to save through our adoption is ME. He will save me from my own self-absorbed life and open my eyes to a world of needs. He will care for me so I can care for our child(ren). He wants to show me Himself through this adventure. He will use my daughter in unimaginable ways in my life. I’m the one in need of rescue. I think there are many people who are drawn into the world of adoption because they are natural advocates and care for the world outside of themselves. Adoption is a by-product of that reality in their lives. I’m not in that category. I am self-absorbed and shallow much of the time. Adoption is the door my family has entered through to see more fully the heart of God. It is only a first step, albeit a huge one, toward changed lives. Not just Rediet's. Not just ours. But hopefully, somehow, others.
Back to my uncontrollable sobs in the orphanage. I was scared to be changed in Ethiopia. I know God called us to adopt. But I kind of wanted to get there, take my baby and run back to my safe little suburban world. I made it all the way until our last day there until God broke me. But standing in that room, I was undone. Broken for the orphans of Ethiopia. Broken for the orphans of the world. Broken for the ones who can't even see the signs of hope posted above their beds.
As we drove away from the orphanage, I had another experience that will always be with me. Whenever our van was stopped in traffic, we would be approached at every window by children and women begging for food or money. At one point a teenage girl approached asking for food. I had just given away my last peanut bar. She then moved to Bill's window. I prepared myself to have to say "no" to her again. But she had something different in mind. You see, Bill was holding Rediet and she was crying pretty hard. This sweet Ethiopian girl came to Bill's window to sing lullabies to her in Amharic. I was so moved by her selfless display of love.
I didn't want Ethiopia to change me. But God did. And I hope I will never be the same.

17 comments:
I've come across your blog from another adoption blog...I just want you to know how much your honesty and realness have spoken to me this morning. Thank you. We're also in the process of adopting from Ethiopia.
we'll never be the same...Ethiopia is always in our hearts.
Thank you for your truth and letting God work through your family's story.
Awesome. Praise the Lord.
Well said! As my dear friends said to us, "we have been gloriously ruined!". God has begun a great work in not only your hearts, but in the hearts of your children. Wait and see...
Beautifully said!!!!
That's beautiful, Missy. I've been amazed through this whole process how much God has worked on me in this adoption.
I recently started following your blog, I loved your honesty! I get choked up just reading about people's experiences, I am sure I will be a sobbing mess in Ethiopia!!
Thank you for this post. Very well said. I couldn't agree more. I had no idea how much God would work in my heart through our adoption. I thought it was all for Levi.
awesome post and yes i need some kleenex. i think about the ways that God has already changed me through this adoption and I know that I will be forever changed traveling to Ethiopia. thank you for the post!
Thanks for the kleenex warning and thanks for sharing. :)
Thank you for sharing this experience. Your words are so honest and real. We just last week received our call and I am preparing my heart for our journey. God has already grown my heart for Ethiopia and it sounds like I will have a lot more growing to do...
Sarah
www.thestoryofafamily.blogspot.com
I was definitely moved by your post. we never visited that orphanage while we were there. I am sure i would have been a mess. What hope in the midst of despair.
great...this keyboard is definitely not waterproof. thanks for this glimpse into your heart and my own.
Missy, I've never voted once on DWTS.
That was beautifully written and I am speechless. Thanks for sharing your beautiful stories with us.
Post a Comment