Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The State of the Family address...

I love summer. I love that it's not dark until nearly 9pm. I love family bike rides. I love corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes. And I love grilling out. Not that I do the actual grilling...that's a "boy job" at my house. And the boy who does the grilling (aka Bill) is on a grilling vacation right now. Here's why...
Yes, that is a bird nest with 5 little eggs in our grill. I'm a mom and we mom's have to stick together. I can't harm this Mommy bird's babies. Even if they are trespassing on our yummy summer goodness. Enjoy your time off, Grill Boy. Thankfully, there are no bird nest's in the dishwasher or sink. Another boy job, of course.

As for me, I have a dream. In this dream I am running a mini-marathon without the paramedics being called on my behalf. Though I would love to fool you, you should know, I am not a runner. Heck, I'm barely a walker. But I have started "training" for a mini-marathon. Each day Tate and I plan to go running together. We started today. We made it down the street and back. He was humored by my out-of-shape-ness. The very same out-of-shapeness that had me gasping for air and begging to quit when we were only 3 houses down. It will be a small miracle if we make it around the block someday, let alone ever participate in a mini-marathon.

Speaking of my running partner, in an ironic twist of fate,
Tate has decided he is going to miss school work this summer. He says he misses the sense of purpose that it gives him and has asked me to give him assignments over the summer. If I oblige him, can I call myself a homeschooling mom? I've always liked the way that sounds.

Even though it's summer, we can't sleep in
every morning. Emmie was my alarm clock this morning playing Jingle Bells, Away in a Manger, and Yankee Doodle Dandy in loud succession on a kazoo. It was kind of cute...at first.

I'm not usually the kind of blogger that offers you much fun or helpful information like recipes. But Jack came to me tonight saying he knew how to make pie. So here is Jack's Pie Recipe... "Take rotten crust. Put it in the pan. Spray whipped cream all over the inside of the crust. Then take little pieces of chocolate that look like logs and put them on top of the whipped cream. TA-DA...you've got pie!". Let me know if you decide to try this at home, rotten crust and all.

And then there is Her Loveliness, who we hope to add to our family at some point in the future. I wish I could post a picture of her, but the best I can give you right now is a picture of her sweet feet. I'm not one to find feet attractive (unlike Tanner P. for all you Bachelorette fans), but these are some dang cute feet!

We don't really know what or how she is doing which, I am finding, makes one more passionate about praying. As I write this, it's 7:44am in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Good morning, Sunshine. We look forward to when we will greet our mornings together. All of six of us. As a family.


9 comments:

Eastiopians said...

I love that you added a Bachelorette quote (my fave show ever...yes, pretty pathetic, but I love it). I am a Kipton fan...how about you?

I LOVE your daughters pic of her little feet and legs! So cute!

And no, I think I will pass on that recipe. ;)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Feet are my favorite baby part. I'm sure the rest of her is just as cute, but that pic is truly all I need. Precious.

Also, and I really hate to tell you this, but the first day we have where it's over 80 degrees, those are eggs are going to cook inside the grill which acts like an oven on hot days. (Kind of like an enclosed car). They are pretty much doomed. We had the same thing two summers running. I made Rich clean out the grill after the kids were in bed and now we keep it VERY COVERED to protect my emotions.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Can't wait for you all to be together as well!!! How awesome! Praying it will be soon and time will fly!

Mandy said...

Good for you! I wish I was a runner, too. It feels so great when getting 3 houses down gets easy. Then, four and five and six!
And, you can join me and homeschool this summer. we are continuing for a while so we can take a break when our little guy gets to come home. Except this week - we have VBS.
I agree - very cute feet! :)

Michael said...

I am not a runner either but I started running on May 19th (that's 24 days ago). I NEVER ran...not at all!!!!! So on May 19 I started doing walk, run, walk, run, walk, run....you get the picture. I did that for about 45 minutes. Tonight I ran 3 miles without stopping!!!!! Keep it up!! You will get better and better everyday! Before May 19th I had NEVER ran an entire mile without stopping. Keep getting up in the morning and going for a run! I can't wait to hear when you run your first Mile!!!
Next, Your sweet little lady has VERY CUTE feet!!!!! Do you have a name for her yet??
Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com

asian~treasures said...

VERY cute feet that "her loveliness" has! : )
Are you going to keep up your running in CO?? Don't let the altitude get you...

See ya in Aug.
Sheri

Amy said...

We had the same bird nest in the grill thing two summers ago. We decided to leave the eggs alone, but within two weeks there were no eggs, no shells, nothing left. We often pondered how that could happen. I figured if they hatched we would see shells at least. Crazy!

LaRose Crew said...

Ironically, my kids want to try the pie.

Our Family said...

Missy,
CONGRATULATIONS on your referral!! I am so happy for your family although we don't even know each other. It's been a while since I have checked your blog (obviously). I have to add you to my list so I will follow things more closely. We really are meant to be friends....our beach picture is the same and Holiday is one of my all time favorite songs. Can't wait to see your sweet baby's face. God bless.....